Sunday, September 4, 2011

Random Star Trek thoughts

So, I'm watching Star Trek: TOS (one of the local channels here shows it every Sat. and Sun. night). It's the second part of "The Menagerie"...you know the episode where Roddenberry got so fucking lazy that he did a "clip show" episode, featuring scenes from a pilot episode that the network originally hated. Anyway, I'm watching as they're showing a scene where Capt. Pike is being punished for wrong thinking by being burned in some sort of hell and brimstone illusion. And the Talosian keeper says it was something from a fairy tale he heard in his childhood.

And I started thinking...exactly what kind of fucking fairy tales were his parents telling this poor kid where characters were being burned alive in a lake of fire? I mean, that's some pretty sadistic stuff for a fairy tale, isn't it? I don't ever remember reading "Hansel and Gretel in the Lake of Fire."

Roddenberry was a weird dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment